Monday, January 16, 2012

One Size Does Not Fit All

I love Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. I love the casting, the music, the production value, the story... but just because I think it's a great movie, that doesn't make it something I recommend everybody see. It's off-beat and just a tad on the dark side. (Okay - maybe more than just a tad.) If you like off-beat, dark stuff, I highly recommend you see it if you haven't already. If you're into romances, happily ever afters, comedies and beauty, I don't think it'll be your cup of tea. That doesn't make you crazy -or me either for that matter. It makes us individuals.

Have you ever tried something that called itself "one size fits all"? Do one-size hats really fit all head? Do one-size gloves really fit all hands? Do one-size fabric book covers really fit all books? (Frankly, I not so sure they really fit ANY book very well.) If you have a computer, a writing program or an ereader you love, do you think that same computer, or program or ereader would work perfectly for everybody?

If you do have a beloved writing program or ereader, I would love to hear about it. But I'll warn you: what makes it great for you may not be what I prefer or need. For example: I hate touchscreens! For whatever reason, touchpads usually don't like my fingertips, so touch-anything is usually junk in my hands. I need to have a key pad -even if it makes your eyes roll. (Is it just me...?)

Does one anything really fit all? I don't think so.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of touch screens either, but I do love my Nook. The touch screen on it doesn't give me any trouble. Although, I do still hate the fingerprints left behind on the screen. And I agree with you here--there is no such thing as one size fits all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I read this because I am the King of trying at least once, anything that claims to be the perfect size/use/color for virtually anyone. I ride a motorcycle and this is terribly apparent in anything described as "universal fit."

    NOT. What they meant was if you have a hammer and a blow torch - it WILL fit your bike. I'm getting better though. When it says "fits most motorcycles" - I don't cave and order it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really NOT this slow reading responses! I read them ages ago and JUST today my dashboard will allow me to respond. (Don't know what's up with that!)

    Susan, ah fingerprints... I hadn't thought about that little thing, but that would probably drive me nuttier than I already am!

    Mike, I'd like to take a hammar and blowtorch to a lot of one-size-fits-all thing!

    ReplyDelete